Click slide to view full size and download
the Clints (thu-klints) n.
ancient earthwork near Chapelhill farm, just to the north of the road passing the 2 Branxholme Lochs, on the southeast slopes of Whitcastle Hill. It is oval in shape, measuring about 40 m by 30 m, being surrounded by a ditch and bank and with an entrance at the north-east. This is probably the remains of a settlement. Small quarries on the south side of the knoll probably gave the site its name (it is marked on the 1859 Ordnance Survey map).